Summer Eye Care for Seniors
At Atlanta Eye Care Centers in Alpharetta, GA, we are experts on senior eye care and conditions. We always recommend individuals over the age of 60 to schedule annual eye check-ups. We allow plenty of time to discuss your vision and any changes you notice. Heat can affect seniors in a number of ways. It’s hot and humid much of the time in North Fulton, so allow us to help you keep your eyes healthy as your needs change.
Most of us look forward to summer, but hot weather can be dangerous, particularly to adults over 60. A University of Chicago Medical Center study found that 40% of heat-related fatalities in the U.S. were among people over 65.
There are several reasons why seniors are more vulnerable to heat stroke, heat exhaustion, and even heat-related deaths. As we age, we lose the ability to notice changes in our body temperatures. Many seniors have health conditions that make it more difficult to adapt to hot temperatures. Many medications cause adverse effects such as dehydration if the patient is exposed to heat.
Keeping cool in summer is essential. Follow these simple suggestions to avoid a trip to the emergency room:
- Drink plenty of water even if you are not thirsty.
- Avoid coffee and alcoholic beverages which contribute to dehydration.
- Wear appropriate clothes, e.g., light-colored, lightweight, loose-fitting clothes, and a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses.
- Stay indoors during mid-day hours. Play tennis or golf in the morning or late afternoon.
- Take it easy. Avoid strenuous activity or exercise when it’s hot.
- Avoid humidity. When there’s a lot of moisture/humidity in the air, the body’s ability to cool itself by sweating is impaired.
- Stay in air-conditioned places like the mall, library, or movie theater.
- Take a cool bath or shower.
Pay Attention to Warnings
Know the warning signs of heat-related illness and seek help immediately if you experience dizziness, nausea, headache, rapid heartbeat, chest pain, fainting and breathing problems.
Atlanta Eye Care has two locations to serve those in North Fulton County. For a full-service, family-friendly optometry group, call us to make an appointment.